Vijay Sharma, Consultant- Qwilt.Com (USA)
Ex- Consultant CDN Video (Russia),
Consultant CDN Services – CtrlS Data Center
India is the fastest growing country In Digital World Space with more than 1 billion telephone subscribers accounting toApprox. 14% of world’s Internet Users , 84% Tele Density, 35% Internet penetration with more than 1000 TV channels & approx. 350 FM radio channels.
While internet in India took more than a decade to move from 10 million to 100 million and 3 years from 100 to 200 million, it took only a year to move from 300 to 400 million users. Clearly, internet is mainstream in India today.
A LOOK AT THE STATS:
- India is #2 in the world with approx. 462 million Internet Subscribers.
- India is #1in the world where people use Mobile Internet for E commerce ( 41% & above )
- India is #2 in the world where IP traffic is dominated by Mobile Internet users ( 65% & above traffic )
- IP traffic in India is to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34% – as against a corresponding global CAGR of 22%, which will be 81% from 63% as of today.
- Expected to grow with 45% CAGR in coming years approx. 6 fold increase in IP video traffic.
- The consumer Internet video traffic will be 76% of consumer Internet traffic in 2020, up from 53% in 2015. While the business Internet video traffic will be 66% of business Internet traffic in 2020, up from 39% in 2015.
- Also the Internet-Video-To-TV traffic will increase 7-fold between 2015 and 2020 (46.4% CAGR). HD will be 62.0% of Internet video traffic in 2020, up from 26.8% in 2015 (71.5% CAGR). Internet gaming traffic will grow 7-fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth rate of 49%.
Importance of CDN Services in Digital World of Internet
How it helps content owners to broadcast with better quality and minimum latency:
[table id=13 /]
If we see the leftmost picture, it shows how content reaches the customers through multiple servers using CDN pops of CDN Service Providers. Where as the picture on the right shows every customer fetching contents directly from the content owner’s server.
Now imagine all customers are in different geographical locations (different city / state / country) and use internet to reach content server. Here in the left picture, we can see CDN pops are in different city / State / Country which means content is reaching the customer faster as it is nearer, using the CDN services network POPs but this also decreases the load on content serveri.e increasing the efficiency of main content server . While in the other case it needs to reach a single place and the time used for fetching the content depends upon Internet connection / latency distance etc. The load on a single server will be high and will lead to the server aging faster.
This is the importance of CDN services in IP Media in the Internet World.
HOW IT WORKS:
The basic building blocks of CDN infrastructure are CDN POPs and their Locations.
CDN pops are responsible for communicating with users / viewers / subscribers in their proximity. Nearer the better, means RTT( Round Trip Time ) is less which make content reach faster and more is responsive to all visitors ( subscriber / viewer ) regardless of their geographical location.
A typical CDN pop hold multiple servers / routers and is responsible for connections, optimization , caching plus other CDN features ,ideally software & the way algorithms are designed.
Enhances regular hosting by reducing bandwidth consumption, scalability, provision to handle abnormal (Spikes) traffic load while mainly minimising latencies.
The CDN copies the pages of a website to a network of servers that are dispersed at geographically different locations, caching the contents of the page. When a user requests a webpage that is part of a content delivery network, the CDN will redirect the request from the originating site’s server to a server in the CDN that is closest to the user and deliver the cached content. The CDN will also communicate with the originating server to deliver any content that has not been previously cached.
Content delivery networks are used for B2B interactions and in serving content to consumers. Today, as more aspects of daily life move online, organizations use content delivery network to accelerate static content, dynamic content, mobile content, e commerce transactions, video, voice, games and so on.
WHAT THE VENDORS DO:
The CDN vendors help the organization in efficiently delivering the content to their end users with better Quality of Experience (QoE)& Quality of Service (QoS). CDN also facilitates organizations to store their contents near its target users and get it secured from attacks like DDoS.
WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS:
The Global CDN market size is expected to grow from USD 4.95 Billion in 2015 to USD 15.73 Billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 26.0%.But the Asian CDN market is expected to grow at a CAGR 39%.